Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Travel to New Zealand

I am going to use this blog as a form of journal for the year.  I will want to look back at this year after successful completion and remember all the highs and the lows.  I will want to know who supported my journey with their kindness and who tried to bring me down with their negativity.  I am sure to have some unique experiences throughout the year.

It was a crazy past few days getting ready for my first international journey of the year, New Zealand.  I tried to squeeze as many clients in as possible before leaving.  I ended up turning my house upside down to try and find my HR monitor with no luck.  This is bad news as I need to strictly monitor my body during these ironman races.  Melanie Clayton was at my house training and saw my panic first hand.  She let me borrow hers.  Now I just need to figure out how to sinc it with my Garmin. 

Perrish from Timp Cyclery worked on my bike all week to ensure that I didn't have any more comfort issues like I did on Corpus Christi.  He is one of the best wrenches in the state and I am lucky to have him on my support crew.  He also made some enhancements to my bike travel case that makes me feel way better about traveling with my bike.  Once all the modifications are complete I am going to take a video showing the best and most secure way to pack your bike for worry free travel.

I had called the airlines to verify the policy with bike check fees as most airlines differ in price.  I made the mistake of calling Air New Zealand and not United since United was my originating flight.  Air New Zealand charges $35 to check a bike where United charges $200.00.  I'll get the last laugh when I connect back in the States and only have paid the smaller fee- ha ha ha.  Which brings me to a pressing question I have had on my mind after being raped by the airlines for all of 2010 and now in 2012.

What are the reasons for these charges?  Is it weight?  Is it industry wide regulations?  I have to say no to both.... If they say it's a weight issue then I call BS as I have checked a bike weighing less than 50 pounds and still was charged.  If the answer is industry standard regulation then again I call BS because all the airlines charge different amounts ranging from FREE to $200....damn you Delta and United.....Thank you Frontier and Southwest.  If anyone knows the reason why my bike cost so much hard earned cash and items such skis, golf clubs and surf boards do not. 

See you in New Zealand.

James aka the Iron Cowboy.


1 comment:

  1. You might be interested in the ten best places I have visited in New Zealand http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/top-ten-places-i-have-visited-in-new.html

    ReplyDelete