Monday, May 21, 2012

Ironman Texas - #8 of 30 in 2012



Welcome to Houston!
FINALLY an easy and smooth Ironman race.  I know this may seem like an oxymoron but after my last four races, this one was truly an easy one.  No disrespect for those who had challenges on the day.  Let's quickly review my last 4 races...... 

1 - Napa; had 51 degree swim temperatures, 6300 of climbing with a run that had no flat sections. 
2 - South Africa; had incredible winds ALL day, and rained on the run.
3- Marble Falls; was a relatively easy course but my body just wouldn't cooperate.  We figured it was due to my body still adjusting to the work load and the 41 hour return travel from South Africa - it just had a freak out moment.
4 - St George; 40 mile an hour winds crept on us during the swim and stayed most of the day making this one of the toughest days in Ironman history.  I tried to help Sunny through the day which caused me to chase some very difficult cut offs - love you Sunny.

Hopefully you can see why I would say that this one was easy.... 80+ degree water, 90 degree temps with 7 mph winds on the bike and a flat partially shaded run.  Bliss!  Yes it was hot, but manageable.

Treats for me - Thanks Jane
I flew in late on Thursday and headed straight to packet pick up.  Soon after, I headed to my hotel to get settled in and build my bike that was hopefully waiting for me at the hotel.  I was welcomed by my bike and a very nice care package put together by Jane Lang who was super nice and helped me out with my hotel and car when my previous arrangements fell through.

I woke up early on Friday, as I wanted to get in all my pre-race workouts early and be off my feet for the day.  I met up with Audra Adair and her friend Jody for a easy ride and run before the scheduled swim in the lake.  Despite feeling sluggish all week, the bike was smooth and I felt really good on the run.  The water temp was announced as 80.1 degrees meaning a non-wetsuit swim.  I don't mind this at all.  I would rather swim in nice water without a wetsuit than cold water with one.  The race allowed people to wear a wetsuit if they wanted.  These athletes would start in a second wave and not be eligible for age group awards on Kona qualifying spots. I think it is good that they do this, as not everyone is 100% comfortable in the water.


Me and Steve Lang!  I look short in every picture.
I went back to the hotel and took a nap before heading out to a movie.  Saw the Avengers 3D and really liked it.  After the show, I met up with Steve Lang, who was doing his first Ironman and wanted to ask me some questions and help better prepare him for the big day ahead of him!  It was an enjoyable evening, where I was able to share some of my knowledge and help a fellow athlete.  Turns out, he ended up having a great day and is already talking about an IM in 2013 - congrats Steve!  After all my final prep, I headed to bed hoping for a good Ironman in the morning.



Race Day May 19 2012 Ironman Texas - The Woodlands


I hate getting up early and today was no exception.  I stumbled out of bed and headed out the door for race #8 on the year.  There isn't much to do race morning, as your bike and transition 1 and 2 bags are already in place.  The weather looked great....maybe I broke the wind curse by shaving..... you are welcome Texas!





Look at that CALM Water!!  Me Audra and Jody- READY!!

Practice Swim

I jumped in the water front and right.  Don't ask me why I did this as I have been swam over before by going to the front.  Last minute, I went all the way right and it ended up working out perfect.  I stayed right hugging the bank of the lake and had good space in the water.  The water was dark and dirty.  So dark in fact, that you could barely see your hands as you pulled.  The swim a unique layout where we swam one counter clock wise loop before entering into a skinny canal towards the swim exit.  It was like taking 5 lanes of freeway traffic and merging us into 1 lane.  The last stretch was congested but very cool as all the spectators had the canal walls lined.  You could hear everyone cheering and yelling for their athletes.  This is rare in an open water swim!  My arm started to really hurt during the later stages of the swim and got worse throughout the day.  I am not sure what to do with it.... GRRRR!





I exited the water relaxed and happy.  I will take the 1:19 with no wetsuit and a bum arm!  I headed out on the bike, stayed so chill.  I knew with the course conditions and weather that if I stayed in complete control all day, I could escape with as minimal damage on my body as possible as I head to Brazil.  The rest of the race was really uneventful - YES!!! Well uneventful, unless you call getting a PENALTY eventful.  I rode through an aid station and grabbed a small package of 'Bonk Breakers'.  I opened them up quickly with my teeth and spit out the wrapper shoving the treat in my mouth.  I was MAYBE 10 feet past the 'END DROP ZONE' sign with bottles laying everywhere.  I was completely shocked when I heard a guy on a motorcycle say "I hate to do this to you, but I have to give you a yellow card for littering back there."  As I was heading into a small headwind I asked if the wrapper blew back into the drop section. HA HA HA - He didn't think that was funny.  Before speeding off I laughed and told him that I was excited to get my very first penalty.  In all fairness, I broke a rule, 10 feet or not it was good to see them finally enforcing something.  I saw many people get drafting penalties, which is a good thing to see them police out there.  I stopped at the next penalty tent and had my big number marked.  Unlike a 4 minute red card drafting penalty, a yellow card is just a quick stop, check in and go.
Marked bib number for being naughty!!!  LOVE IT!!  




 I finished the bike in 5:35 managing to keep my heart rate at an average of 141.  This was a good sign for me.  I was worried about racing in the heat of Texas because of my experience in Marble Falls.  With my HR staying low, and posting a decent bike time, I knew I was going to be okay for the run.  A good sign is also when you have to pee during the bike portion of the race.  I pulled off to pee, twice, and knew my body was hydrated and processing the my nutrition - YES!  After my issues in Marble Falls, I called the guys at First Endurance, and they helped my fine tune my nutrition plan even further for the coming races.  Thank you FIRST ENDURANCE for an awesome guidance.

Me and coach Sonja!!! 
I headed out onto the run lathered in sun screen, in hopes of a consistent marathon.  It was nice to see that Texas has some love for the Iron Cowboy.  Wearing my trademark hat, I looped the run course three times with little problem.  I wore my St. George finisher shirt during the run, which sparked many conversations out there.  Friend and confidant Sonja was here to support Audra on her attempt to qualify for Kona.  It was nice to hear her friendly cheers and support.  It was fun to hear the support from races and spectators for the efforts of the Iron Cowboy.  I continue to be shocked that people are following the journey - humbled and honored to be apart of it.



Fresh and ready to do it again.  Brazil anyone!
Done and Done.  The Pony will rest for 7 days.




















A small group of us went to dinner that night and celebrated a successful day.  Trust me when I say that I understand that every time I make it through an Ironman with ease like that, I am extremely fortunate and blessed to be doing what I am doing.  One of my friends from Utah shared the same misfortune as my wife and was cut off from racing at mile 64 in the St George Ironman a few weeks ago.  Not wanting to lose his fitness, Jared Lees (the MAN) signed up for Ironman Texas.  I texted him on Sunday to see how he did as his results online were not posting.  I quickly found out that his body wasn't handling the heat of the day and he was treated with a Ambulance ride at the 80 mile mark of the bike.  We went out to lunch and discussed where he may have gone wrong and what he could have changed to avoid this type of thing in the future.  I think he left feeling a little better, but man did I feel bad for him.  He was thinking about possibly trying one more time this year in Coeur D'Alene on June 24th.  I love the "never quit" attitude going on here.  I am inspired by Jared's iron will to keep trying.  It is not how many times we fail but how many times we get back up, LEARN and try again.

See you in Brazil!!!!

James Lawrence - The Iron Cowboy

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear you had an easier Iron Man this time. You deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love the updates. You are inspiring so many as we read about and cheer you on in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a great example of determination. Thanks for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fun! it was great to see you out on the run course! good luck in brazil!!! go cowboy! go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and btw: we were walking behind you guys on the way to the swim start!!!! gah!! had i known it was you i would have said something!!! my husband and i wanted to meet you. bummer. i only know it was you now from the pictures. i recognize the guy in the white top (jody) and i can see a glimpse of your huge tatoo that is on your calf. it is a big one with the m dot with two flags right?? i even said wow! that's a big tatoo and that looks like the iron cowboy, but said "nah that can't be him, that guy is too short!" (sorry, but in all of your racing pics you look taller, isn't that good? i hope that doesn't insult you, it wasn't meant to.) needless to say, the hubs is annoyed that i didn't pipe up and at least ask (i usually would have, but maybe i was still trying to wake up). anyway! good luck in brazil and if you are ever in south florida let us know! you will always have a place to crash here!! (heather linares)

    ReplyDelete