Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bad Ass Comments Validated

My mom ran her first sprint triathlon this weekend and from our conversation and the pictures she enjoyed the day. When we spoke she exclaimed that 3 strokes into the swim she could not breath as she thought her wetsuit was too tight. This is a very common experience for a first time triathlete to have. It is a simply combination of excitement and anxiety. Wetsuits are super tight and should not restrict our breathing. I was thinking after our conversation how many people I knew that had experienced the same thing as my mom, my wife included. My wetsuit pretty much can’t get much tighter. I think this just comes with practice and a certain comfort level in the water. Practice in open water swimming is super important, especially before attacking the longer distances or mass starts.




She said once on the bike she started to calm down and get into a good rhythm. She then attacked the run and conquered that too. All in all a great day for mom and I loved hearing about her day. I can not wait to do an Half-Ironman event with her in 2011 and a Full Ironman in 2012, she is already and inspiration to many. If my mom at the age of 60 can get out there and do, what is stopping you?? Go mom Go!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats to your mom! That is cool that you will be able to race with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! Congrats to your mom, you must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete