Monday, March 29, 2010

Oceanside - The Swim


32:36. This was an exciting way to start my quest, a personal best. For those of you that don't know me my swim has always been a struggle. Over the winter and the past few years I have worked hard bringing my average swim time from 40 min to today's time, whew! As stated before I was the very last wave to go at 7:48 am. I prepared myself for freezing cold temperatures but to my surprise the water temperature was very comfortable. Sunny and friends wished me luck for the final time as I plunged into the water. The horn blew and off we went. I started of to the left with hopes of not being run over by excited or faster swimmers. Success! No contact and a great smooth start. This was the best swim I have ever had in a half Ironman swim. I was in complete control for the first time in 6 years. I didn't break stride, not once. When I approached other slower swimmers from previous waves I simply guided myself around them with confidence and ease. Now don't get me wrong, my swim is a far cry from "speedy" - (how do the pro's swim it in 23 minutes? I need a good pair of fins and and oxygen tank to do that) Off to the T1.....

No comments:

Post a Comment