Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Florida 70.3 Race 5 of 20


I have been waiting to write this post as it was an interesting race for me. I had many emotions and experiences this time around and I wanted to process them all before I wrote them down. So this may be a longer post but should still be a good worth while read as I continue on my journey to a world record and my humble attempt to make a difference on the people on the other side of the world. I am experiencing this journey in a way that I didn't think I would when I started. Every time I race the 70.3 distance I gain respect for it. I also get some perspective on what life could possibly be like in Africa. I am hot, thirsty and tired for 5 hours.... the African people are hot, thirsty and tired all day, every day.

Friday May 14, 2010

I packed up the Ellsworth prototype and all of my gear for a race that I was super excited to go and do, and actually race. I have had a two-week break and some good training sessions with Coach Keena. I have done some good bike rides and did a quality track workout to work on my speed for the run. I was excited for this race because I felt that I could "race" this event instead of doing the event. The conditions were ideal for my style of racing. Lake swim, flat bike course with no winds in the forecast and a flat run!

My flight was direct and I had no issues... well except that I get angry every time I check my bike cause I feel that they take advantage of cyclists. I thought I would try a new approach this time and check my bike curb side and see if I could sneak through without paying the absurd amounts that they charge. The guy was about to ring me up for 100 bucks when at the last second he decided to go inside and check.... 190 was the final verdict, DANG IT!

I landed safely, shuttled to my car rental and set out to find my hotel. How did people travel prior to the iPhone?! This device has saved my butt so many times. I located my hotel with no problem and was instantly excited when I pulled into the parking lot and saw a sign that said, "The Worlds Largest Python Water Slide". I couldn't wait to see this! Well as you can see by the picture, I think the hotel staff may be delusional or suck at research cause there is no way that this is the largest. I checked in, went to Shoney's for all you can eat ribs and mashed potatoes and called it a night.


In the middle picture is the "PYTHON SLIDE" and the one on the right is my view from my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment