Thursday, May 20, 2010

Run.... ok I did a lot of walking too.... so what...



Run - 1:58:41

Still feeling awesome from the bike, I stormed through T2 and headed out on the run. My first mile was a 7:10 and a smile came to my face. I KNEW I was going to have a personal best day and have an outside chance of a World Championship slot. That feeling lasted 2 more miles before my body started to shut down...again. The feelings from St Croix started to creep in. My legs started to get really heavy and everything started to go into slow motion. By the half-way mark of the run, the hearing in my left ear started to go again and the ringing was back. I slowed right down as the day heated up. During my second lap, I watched as a guy collapsed from the heat of the day. Other athletes quickly went to help him. His day was done and it felt much the same for me. I kept
thinking to myself, "How can I feel so good one minute and so awful the next?" I kept doing the math and my high hopes of achieving a personal best were long gone and the realization soon set in that I wasn't even going to break 5 hours. Dang....

The photo guys seemed to have caught me every time I was walking... nice! I did, however, muster up a smile after completing the 5th half-ironman of the year. Only 15 more to go....

1 comment:

  1. James, I'm a fan, my man. Way to be!! I was introduced to your blog yesterday and whipped through it. I have never done a tri or anything like it, but you have inspired me... more than inspired... I feel like I'm on fire right now. I'm literally sweating from excitement(I live in AZ, so it is a little hot), but I can not wait to get out and start training. I love the cause, and I applaud your mission. Take it to 'em!!

    ReplyDelete