Thursday, May 20, 2010

Personal Best and Drafting Cheaters!


Bike - 2:26:47

HOOORAH! Finally had a great bike split. After a poor swim I threw caution to the wind and started out on the bike ride. My legs felt good and I just got into a rhythm. Being the last wave I had most of the field in front of me. I started blowing by packs of people. And when I say packs, I mean packs. Their was drafting going on everywhere. I just kept thinking, "Well, if that's how they want to do the half-ironman experience then more power to them." At one point, I past a large group of riders and thought nothing of it. After about 5 minutes of me minding my own business, I looked back and saw that entire group attached to my wheel drafting off of me! Feeling good, I stood up out of my saddle and said enough is enough! I dropped that group of cheaters at my expense! A few miles down the road, I had another single rider enjoying the draft off my back wheel. I yelled at him and he completely ignored me fully content to just sit there. I swerved left so he would get the hint and get off of me. He picked up his pace and passed me up. Moments later his chain blew off his bike - karma is a bitch! I felt strong the entire ride and was incredibly happy with my performance here. I had my friend Jess Brereton's PR bike time in sight from our first half-ironman years before. I fell just a bit short but am still very happy at this point. The friendship record is still yours Jess.... for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment