Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A late flight equals no sleep.

Saturday May 1st.


Packed and ready to go, but unfortunately my flight didn’t leave till 12:50 am. Quiet Ways Executive Director Holly was kind enough to stay up and give me a ride to the airport. Super nice! That way my wife could get some rest, as the kids still wake up some nights. I managed to get all my gear into my bike case and one carry-on. Two nights before the race is the most important night for a good nights sleep, so I had high hopes of getting some sleep on my first flight to Atlanta...no luck. I ended up getting an isle seat and that doesn’t spell sleep for me. I maybe caught an hour before landing. Plan B was to sleep a few hours on my 3 hour lay over.... I managed to catch another hour on the floor of the Atlanta airport. On my last flight, I sat beside a really nice guy and we ended up chatting for most of the flight. I did catch a 3rd one-hour nap for a total of 3 hours. Not ideal for race rest.... dang it!



Landed in St Croix and right when I stepped off the plane I could feel the humidity. The airport here is very, very small and easy to navigate. Within five minutes of getting my bike, (always a welcome sight) Ernie Harker, host of the Xtreme Tourist TV show, was there to pick me up. With the race being tomorrow, we had to hurry to the hotel, put my bike together quickly and head to race check in. St Croix is very relaxed. Normally at check-in there are lines, wristbands, expo’s and some chaos. In St Croix the check-in was in a small room off of the narrow streets of downtown Christiansted. No lines, no fuss.... picked up my number, timing ship and a cotton T. Sad to announce that they didn't have a sticker.... need to find one on line now.


No comments:

Post a Comment