Thursday, April 29, 2010

Running with the pro's


Run 1:35:23

I transitioned quickly (there really isn’t much to do in T2) and headed out for the run.  The run course is a four lap course that I wasn’t sure if I was going to like or dislike.  I really like having an aid station right out of transition.  I stopped, topped off my liquid, grab some cool sponges and was off.  Within 400 meters, I had my legs back and started to actually feel pretty good.  When my watch beeped indicating the first mile was down I looked and was happy and sad all in one breath.  6:55 is what the Garmin said, a very similar start to my run last week in New Orleans where I struggled at the end.  I had told myself this week that I would go out a little slower and try to finish stronger.  With that plan out the window only 1 mile into a 13.1 mile run, I forged onward still feeling good.  I made it through the first lap and kept a solid pace in the low 7’s per mile.  I really enjoyed the 4 lap run as I got to run with the pros (which is a stretch, they blew by me like I was standing still) who were on their 3rd and 4th laps of the race.  It was very cool to see and feel the pace that they run.  It was inspiring again to feel their power.  I got passed by the likes of Bozzone, Odonnell, Lieto and Potts for men and Samantha McGlone (fellow Canadian) on the woman’s side.  By the forth lap I had managed to maintain and keep a very consistent pace.  I stopped at each aid station throwing cold water on my head, taking in some needed liquid, snagging the odd banana and I made sure to grab two fresh cold sponges as I exited.  I finished strong with a smooth 6:45 mile and averaged a 7:16 on the 13.1 portion of the race- my best run time ever in a half-Ironman event! I guess I do like the 4 lap format.....

As I crossed the finish line I felt better than I had the previous weeks.  I grabbed 2 pieces of pizza and headed over to the massage tent.  Fortunately I got right in. Unfortunately it was only a quick 5 min rub down unlike the 2 girl paradise I experienced the week before.

With the heat up and the race completed, I wandered over to gather my things to go back to my hotel, anxious to get some real food and a shower.  As I approached transition I noticed that it was full of bikes and zero people.  As I tried to enter I was scolded and told that I could not enter the transition area until ALL athletes had finished the bike portion of the race and that she was about 10 miles out.  Oh boy... so with nothing else to do I found some well known pros and made small talk and watch the majority of the field cross the finish line.  It was fun to see the excited and pure joy on people faces as they realized their goals of finishing a half-Ironman. 

When they finally let me back into T2, I gathered my things and headed back to my hotel.  I took a quick shower, lounged and watched some great playoff basketball.  As evening approached, I need some final bits of food and a walk to get out any lingering lactic acid.  So I strolled around the rows of Walmart before finding a sandwich and some fruit. 

I woke up early to make sure I had enough time to pack up my bike.  I am getting smarter and this time I threw in my wetsuit and bike shoes in the bike case.  If I can maximize what I put in the bike case, I may be able to get the rest of my items in a smaller case for next trip and just carry my bag on to avoid the $20 fee at check-in.  I quickly found a UPS/FedEx store and asked how much it would cost to ship my bike to St Croix for next weekends race.  The sweet lady behind the counter typed in all her numbers, looked up and said that will be $1159.00 dollars.  I must have sworn cause she looked at me funny.  I stood there with a look of disbelief in my face, not knowing what to do.  I finally decided to ship it to my house in Lindon, as that would be cheaper than checking it on the flight with me - shipping it to St Croix was not an option!  I just hope my bike gets to my house before I have to leave on Friday.

1 comment: