Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Check in and bike issues...


June 26th. One more sleep till race day. I am still excited to race despite my schedule. This is a good thing. Woke up today with half the bug bites I thought I would have. It was a super hot sleep under the stars until about 3 in the morning when it finally started to cool down. Keena and I chowed on some Rokitfuel and fruit for breakfast then headed out for our final workouts before the race. We spun for 30 minutes, ran for 20 and swam a portion of the swim course. On the ride I could not get my bike to shift from the low ring to the big ring, but we had all day to take the bike to the expo and get it worked on. I was struggling through the first few minutes of the ride and couldn't figure out why the ride was so easy for Keena and why I was sweating like a fool. After some more bike examination I discovered that the front brake was toed in and rubbing hard. Good thing I figured this out just 5 minutes into the ride and before race day. This must be the reason they tell you to ride your bike the day before the race.

We packed up our sleeping bags and gear and headed to race check in. Check in was
routine and then I took my bike to the techs. They worked on it for over an hour and finally gave up and told me that it was most likely not going to shift on race day. They say that this was because of the Q Ring that I have on it.... gonna get that switched out first thing when I get home.

I couldn't do anything about the shifting issue at this point and
simply made the decision to be ok with it and bike the 8 hill climbs in the big ring. The afternoon was filled with 2 movies and hydrating. The day ended at the Texas Road House. Figured we were in Texas and should eat there. Back to the lake for the night and last minute race prep. Visualize the finish......

No comments:

Post a Comment