Wednesday, June 16, 2010

World Championship Qualifying Race



Swim - 33:32 Bike - 2:40:28 Run - 1:40:39 Finish - 4:58:26

The Swim - I headed out on the swim and had my best swim of the year. I knew I had had a good swim when I only had a 150 meters to go when the fast swimmers from the pack behind me passed me. Yahoo! After another speedy transition (which by the way I owe to my friend Jess, when I first stated tris he told me to transition like I stole something) I was off to a very windy bike ride.

The Bike - This was the windiest ride I have ever been on. The head wind was ruthless and if you did not come prepared with a strong mental game this wind would surely be the end of you. It was a simple out and back course with a few tangents and a few good climbs. During certain sections of this ride I found my self digging going 15 mph into the wind and on other sections 28 mph hardly putting forth any effort. The side winds were relentless and my bike almost took flight on more than one occasion due to my disk wheel. The only incident we had on the bike course was when the camera crew got rear ended.... luckily they were in a suburban... the other car wasn't so lucky.
The Run- This was a unique run experience for me. Our swim wave was 3rd in the water and the two age groups ahead of us were men and woman 60-64. I passed these age groups in the water and the start of the bike. By the time I reached the 2 loop run I basically had the course to my self for the first lap. I didn't see anyone until 3 of the men pro athletes passed me on their second lap. It felt like a training run except for all the attention I got at the aid stations. Everyone wanted me to take what they were handing out, it was like a competition. I continued to feel great as I rounded for my second lap. I was energized after seeing my team mates and the effort they were putting out.

I charged down the finish line with my most exciting finish yet! I knew my placing was good but didn't realize till much later that I had indeed qualified for the 70.2 World Championships to be help on November 13th in Clearwater Florida. I ended up 4th in my division.

We had the whole Tri and Give a Dam team up there and a huge congrats goes out to the following individuals.
Kyle Woodruff -
39:01 2:44:59 1:50:46 5:21:24
John Rose
35:44 2:46:51 2:15:02 5:44:23
Kyle Quist
44:05 3:17:00 2:12:09 6:22:02
Ryan Whiting
34:40 3:31:43 2:35:34 6:50:19
Eric Rose
38:22 3:26:04 2:56:38 7:09:38

This was the first 70.3 events for all of them except Kyle W. John Rose told me he hated me moments after he crossed the finish line but has since committed to another race with me in Lake Stevens later this summer. Can you say bit by the "ironman bug"

Kyle Quist had an adventure after crossing the finish line. He now has a little more sympathy for my IV experience in St Croix. Way to gut it out Kyle, we are all proud of you!

The day wrapped up with an award ceremony and world championship allocation. Congrats to fellow Utah athlete and training partner Nichole Bechsted who also qualified for Worlds. We all met afterwards for some much need nutrition (that wasn't in the form of goo) at PF Changes and celebrated over some wonderful dishes! What a hell of a trip, the best yet!

Can you tell I'm excited. What a day! Thank you for all the support and donations. Together we are doing this!! Thank you.


3 comments: