Sunday, June 13, 2010

Winds Winds and Near Death


Bike 2:40:35

This was a crazy bike ride experience for me.

One; Because it was in the Hawaii and everything I wanted it to be.
Two; Because I almost crashed, could have died, certainly would have ended my season - but I didn't.

This up and down course had incredible views and "as seen on TV" swirling winds. I made it safely to the turn around and hoped the rumors of a
head wind both directions was one thing I didn't get to experience here in Hawaii. We did indeed have a tail wind but there were still the random side gusts. As I passed amateur racer Belinda from Australia traveling 31.8 miles an hour, a huge gust of wind blew me clear into the shoulder and right over a raised night reflector. My bike took flight and the gods of Hawaii was the only reason I didn't go down. As soon as my wheels touched the bike had such
forward motion that the bike self corrected completely straightening the bike out. The adjustment was so violent that my left foot came unclipped and my body slammed down onto the top tube of the bike. Belinda screamed and could not figure out how I didn't go down. I finished the rest of the bike ride with my heart in my throat and was passed on every downhill for the rest of this ride. Trust me when I say I was happy to be done with this ride despite it's history and beauty.

1 comment: